Fun Run Information
Registration for our Fun Run is open! On Friday, May 20th, grade levels will take turns participating in the event beginning at noon. The schedule will be included in Ms. Ciarlone's newsletter this weekend. Warren Street will be closed from Chapman Street to Brookline Street and families are invited to join to cheer on students and staff! This is our largest fundraiser of the year and we partner with Get Movin’ Fund Hub to make the donation process as easy as possible.
Field Day: Volunteers Needed
Field Day t-shirts have been ordered for all students and staff! Thank you to the talented Don Days for creating the artwork. Arrangements are underway for the fun-filled day of school, but we will need volunteers to help all of the stations run smoothly! If you are interested in helping, please make sure you have an up to date CORI check on file with Anne Marie Dangler in the Cunniff main office. These last for three years and if you need to fill one out, it is a very short form and Anne Marie will make a quick copy of your license. When buzzing in at the main entrance, you can let her know you are there to fill out a CORI form. We appreciate your attention to this matter.
Teacher Appreciation Week Recap
Thank you so much to the families who volunteered their time and creativity to assemble gifts for the entire Cunniff faculty and staff during Teacher Appreciation Week! Everyone at the school was so appreciative for the breakfast on Monday and the thoughtful gifts given each day throughout the week.
2022-2023 PTO Officers
The election for PTO Officers for the 2022-2023 school year took place at our recent May meeting. Our four officers are happy to be staying on board for another year:
Co-Presidents: Jen Nicholson and Will Stirling
Treasurer: Natasha Brown
Secretary: Jenae Van Orden
We are in need of 2 or 3 fifth grade representatives to take on fundraising and organizing grade 5 specific events, including Cunniff graduation, the Election Day bake sale, and spring car wash! If you are interested or would like more information, please send a message to CunniffPTO@gmail.com. Thank you!
Registration for our Fun Run opens today! On Friday, May 20th, grade levels will take turns participating in the event (schedule to follow). Warren Street will be closed from Chapman Street to Brookline Street and families are invited to join to cheer on students and staff! This is our largest fundraiser of the year and we partner with Get Movin’ Fund Hub to make the donation process as easy as possible.
Please visit GETMOVINFUNDHUB.COM to sign up or reactivate your account. Our school identifier code is 5d31d6a476e95. If you have multiple children attending Cunniff, you can make a family profile so donations are automatically split between two or more students.
We are so excited to bring this Cunniff tradition back and thank you for your support!
Would you like to give back to the community you love? The Watertown Community Foundation (WCF), along with local sponsors and dozens of neighbors, will be out in the community again during the Month of May 2022 volunteering to make Watertown a nicer place to live and work. There are TWO particular days for the Cunniff: one on Sunday, May 22 for garden clean up and one that can be down anytime in May for carpentry work for the shed. Sign up is available at the link below!
Belmont books will host the Cunniff Online Book Fair from March 20-March 26. An in-store shopping event for the Cunniff will take place on Thursday, March 24th, from 2-6 pm, where 20% of all sales in-store between these hours will be donated to the Cunniff School.
To shop at Belmont Books online, please visit. https://www.belmontbooks.com/ .
To shop in-person, visit the store located at 79 Leonard Street in Belmont, MA.
To access the Cunniff School teacher wishlists, you will see a dropdown menu titled "Wishlists" on the homepage. Please scroll down to "Cunniff School Teacher Wishlists".
A coupon code will be used so that Cunniff can receive 20% of purchases. Here is the coupon code for families to use online for the Book Fair: CUNNIFF22. This code will be active from just after midnight on March 20th to midnight on March 26th.
•The CUNNIFF22 code should be entered in the Coupon field at checkout, NOT in the Payment Type or Gift Card fields;
•The code does NOT give a discount. It just allows us to identify which purchases are going to be credited to the overall donation;
•Gift Cards and Online Gift Codes do not count towards the donation. They’re essentially forms of cash, not products, and there’s no way for Belmont Books to control whether the gift card recipient might get an additional discount when they eventually use their gift.
Teacher wish lists can be viewed here: www.belmontbooks.com/cunniff-school-teacher-wishlists.
Wednesday, March 16 is an early release day with a 12:15 dismissal (12:05 for grades K,1, 12:10 - grades 2,3, and 12:15 - grades 4,5). Lunch will not be served but students can opt to take a grab-and-go lunch. There is Extended Day for students who participate in this program.
A reminder that March conferences are coming up. Please visit March Conferences to sign up for a conference with your child's teacher if you have not already done so. Spanish teacher Mrs. Koehler is also available for a conferences.
Conference Dates and Times
Thursday, March 24 - 1:00 - 2:30 (early-release day)
Tuesday, March 29 - 1:00 - 2:30. (early-release day)
Wednesday, March 23 - 6:00 - 8:00
March March 28 - 5:00 - 7:00
Happy 100th day of school to the Cunniff Community! The PTO treated our wonderful Cunniff staff to some breakfast goodies this morning, with some special help from James (1st grade)!
Dr. Galdston has just announced that WPS schools are closed today, January 4. Our PTO meeting for 6pm on January 4 is being postponed. Ms. Ciarlone will send an email to notify all Cunniff families tomorrow. We will share information about rescheduling once the details are set. Take care, everyone.
Held on November 9, 2021 at 6:00pm
● Picture day was a success
● Picture retakes will take place on December 12th. More information will be sent in Sunday’s smore.
● Mena and teaches are looking into a “bring-in field trip” from mass audubon, museum of science, etc. to our science room
● PTO has money set aside for enrichment and field trips for students and will be able to financially support these opportunities for students.
● All enrichment opportunities will be hands-on science activities for students.
● Mena asked the PTO to give a ballpark range that each grade level has for field
trips/enrichment. The PTO will be able to provide this information soon.
● Mena would like to hold a read-a-thon and book fair in January/February to help promote the school-wide reading initiative that will begin on November 29th. She would also like a spirit day that helps promote the reading initiative.
○ PTO will meet with Mena to discuss further details.
● Mena is looking to bring back the walking to school program.
○ A company will teach street safety to 2nd and 3rd graders.
○ Program will take place in the spring.
● Our first “Trunk or Treat” was a huge success!
• The PTO will send “thank yous” to all who decorated trunks.
• We had a total of 15 cars decorated.
• The event was very well attended. We had approximately 100 kids attend. All prizes were used.
• There is potential to do “Trunk or Treat” next year and going forward. Lot of parents have expressed interest in contributing in the future with decorating cars and purchasing prizes.
● Creation of new PTO bylaws
• We have Lowell/Hosmer’s PTO bylaws to use as a template.
• Bethany Grazio has offered to review the bylaws.
● Setting up our PTO room in new building
• Natasha and Jen will be setting up our new room on Friday.
• We are looking into off-site storage. We will need to inventory and document everything well at off-site storage for easy accessibility.
● Potential Spirit Days
• We are working with Mena and her team to determine potential Spirit Days and related purchases.
• “Wild about reading” - wear something wild
• Hats off to reading - hat day
• Reading knocks my socks off - mix & match socks
• Comfy to read - cozy day, PJ day
• Read with pet/stuffie - bring stuffie to school, picture reading with their pet
• One Friday a month to go with reading initiative
• Prizes, picture books, grade-level specific
• Planning of first spirit day to be Dec. 3rd
● Belmont books is interested in partnering for book fair
• It has been a good partnership in the past with lots of opportunities for the students to meet the authors.
• There will be an incentives for kids to buy books, discounts
• Mena will set meeting up over zoom
• Mena thinks February would be a good month for the book fair.
• We include Lowell in our book fair this year due to their space limitations.
● Photography session fundraiser idea (from Mrs. Lacy)
• Sessions are $75 ($45 for photographer and $30 for PTO)
• 15-minute photo sessions
• 20-25 digital images are delivered via link to album to families in approximately 2 weeks.
• Possible timing of photo sessions; next fall (for holiday cards), valentine’s day shoot, springtime for 5th grade graduations, end of year photos.
• If the photos need to be taken inside, Shannon Dixon is the building rental coordinator.
● It was a very quiet month just trunk or treat expenses
5th Grade Update
● No update
● The PTO is looking into running the pie fundraiser if the 5th graders no longer want to run it.
● Tuesday, December 7 at 6:00pm
We will have a joint meeting with the School Site Council, Diversity and Belonging Council and
PTO via zoom on November 30th.